We know that certain foods can help us lose weight and maintain optimum health, but in addition to these benefits there are foods that have shown promising results that may help reverse or slow down the signs of aging. If you are looking to eat a healthier diet overall and help turn back the clock, pile your plate high with these essential super foods.
1. Berries - Fruits and vegetables of all kinds are essential to maintaining a healthy body, but berries especially are rich in powerful antioxidants and vitamins that can help you maintain a youthful appearance. Berries are chock full of Vitamin C, for example, which can help protect your skin from damaging free radicals. They also contain other antioxidants which may help combat cell damage. Blueberries are especially powerful, but all berries are just as good at fighting the signs of aging.
2. Dairy - Most dairy products are protein-rich, and protein is an essential building block for healthy muscle function. Stock your fridge with low-fat milk, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt and low-fat cheeses. In addition to protein, dairy products contain calcium and potassium to help regulate your metabolism and keep your bones strong and healthy.
3. Salmon - Salmon and other fish are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, a type of “good”fat that can help lower cholesterol levels and can even reduce chronic inflammation. For the best anti-aging benefits of Omega-3’s, make it a point to include 2 to 3 servings of salmon or other fish into your weekly diet plan. If you aren’t fond of seafood, flaxseed and walnuts also contain Omega-3’s and work just as well to help combat the signs of aging.
4. Green Vegetables - Vegetables are an important food group to include into your diet on a daily basis, but dark green and leafy veggies pack the most powerful anti-aging punch. They can help lower your risk of chronic illness or diseases like cancer or heart disease and make a great addition to any meal.
5. Olive Oil - Swap your usual cooking oil for olive oil and reap the benefits of this anti-aging wonder. Olive oil contains a high concentration of the “Good”types of fats, which can help lower high cholesterol levels. In addition, olive oil contains antioxidants which are thought to stave off age-related diseases.
6. Whole Grains - Whole grains should become a staple of your healthy diet. Not only can they help you maintain a healthy weight, but many studies have shown additional health benefits of a diet rich in whole grains. In fact, people who eat enough whole grains often have a lower risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and other age related diseases.
Including these powerful anti-aging super foods into your diet can help you stave off signs aging and live a healthier life overall. By making an effort to change your dietary habits for the better, you can live a longer healthier life.